Paphiopedilum hookerae var. volonteanum (Sander) Braem
- Described: Sander in Gardener's Chronicle, 3rd series, 8: 7 (1890, List of awards)
- Transferred: Braem in Paphiopedilum: 147 (1988)
- Etymology: unknown, from Braem (2003): "It is assumed that the designation refers to one of Sander's customers."
- Varieties & Forms:
Paphiopedilum hookerae var. volonteanum fma. sandowii (Braem in Orchidees. Culture et Protection, 36: 35-38 (1998)) Gruss in Caesiana 12: 63 (1999) - albino form
- Synonyms: none
- Chromosome Count - unknown
- Leaves: proportionately narrower than the typical variety, below with variable amounts of purple spotting
- Bloom: petals broader and more obtuse than typical variety, slight constriction below the mouth of the lip
- Plant: found almost exclusively as single growth in situ
- Distribution -
- Elevation: 60-2300 m
- Peak Flowering in the Wild: April-May
- Ecology: near water seepages on serpentine cliffs
- Mean Temperature Range: 10-22°C
- Light: light-moderate shade
- Medium: leaf and needle detritus
- Water (D-drier, M-moderate, W-wetter) -
- The extreme altitudinal range results in Paph. volonteanum being found in a wide variety of habitats.
- Braem, Guido J., and Guy Chiron. Paphiopedilum. Saint-Genis Laval, France: Tropicalia, 2003.
- Cribb, Phillip J. The Genus Paphiopedilum. Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia: Natural History Publications in association with Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, 1998.
- Fowlie, J.A., and T. Lamb. "Malaya Revisited XXV, Paphiopedilum volonteanum (Sand.) Stein Rediscovered in Very Peculiar Habitats of North Borneo." Orchid Digest 48, no. 2 (Mar/Apr 1984): 59-66.
- Gruss, O. "Albino Forms of the Slipper Orchids." Orchid Digest 69, no. 4 (Oct/Dec 2005): 204-29.
Primary Hybrids - register as Paph. hookerae
Return to the Data Sheets Page
Page Created By: Stephen Manza
Last Updated: 7-23-06